• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

I am addicted to meat

KamMoye

Ex-Bluelighter
Recently I have cut out everything I could possibly be addicted to (last things to go? marijuana, attention/distraction, and now meat). But one lingers:

Meat! Specifically chicken!

Y'all have seen Food, Inc., right?

The only meat I want to eat is fish (salmon, mostly).

It's a curious urge, one that isn't filled just when I'm hungry. It's temporarily sated, but the next time I'm hungry, it seems I feel it a little more, and then a little more...

I'm trying to eat nuts when I feel that deep urge for protein, but I think the more likely scenario is that I need to wean myself off meat.

Or eggs! Do you think eating more eggs would help? Currently I eat one egg a day.

I'm thinking I can eat fish from here, maybe once or twice a week:

http://www.wildplanetfoods.com/store/products

What do you think?

I think if the only meat you are eating is fish and lean chicken breast you are sitting pretty. However you mention addiction several times and I'm guessing you don't want to feel the urge to eat meat? I think if you get on the pescatarian diet for a month or so the urge for animal flesh will diminish until eventually the thought of eating it will make you feel sick so that is an option.

The big problem is now that you are thinking about being addicted to meat, it is going to keep going round and round in your head every time you are hungry and wondering what to eat. The next time you are grabbing some food from the fridge and feel a strong desire for chicken take a moment to calm down, reflect, and really try and feel what it is your body is trying to tell you and what it is hungry for. Separate the physical hunger from the mental urge.

Then again as you alluded to you might be craving meat because it contains nutrients which your body is lacking. If you think this is the case the next time you feel like chicken have plain lean poached chicken breast or something similar. In other words separate the fat, salt, and goodies from the physical meat and see if your cravings are satisfied or not.

Good Luck!

I quit meat cold turkey ~2 years ago... Not that hard to find healthier replacements

what do you mean your addicted to attention/distraction?

I think if the only meat you are eating is fish and lean chicken breast you are sitting pretty. However you mention addiction several times and I'm guessing you don't want to feel the urge to eat meat? I think if you get on the pescatarian diet for a month or so the urge for animal flesh will diminish until eventually the thought of eating it will make you feel sick so that is an option.

The big problem is now that you are thinking about being addicted to meat, it is going to keep going round and round in your head every time you are hungry and wondering what to eat. The next time you are grabbing some food from the fridge and feel a strong desire for chicken take a moment to calm down, reflect, and really try and feel what it is your body is trying to tell you and what it is hungry for. Separate the physical hunger from the mental urge.

Then again as you alluded to you might be craving meat because it contains nutrients which your body is lacking. If you think this is the case the next time you feel like chicken have plain lean poached chicken breast or something similar. In other words separate the fat, salt, and goodies from the physical meat and see if your cravings are satisfied or not.

Good Luck!

Thanks for your response!

I looked up what essential nutrients are in meats, and I found iron, amino acids, Vitamins A, B and D.

It sounds like if I replace chicken with fish I should be alright!

Am I limiting myself by sticking to just salmon, or should I make sure I eat a multitude of fish?

Psyke: imo almost everyone is addicted to attention/distraction (stimulation would be the best way to put it)